The concept of mentoring has been an MDRT staple since the beginning — members helping those who aspire to join find solutions to qualify. It’s crucial for the long-term success of the aspiring member, it’s essential for the member by keeping them on track and by revisiting best practices with a peer. But now there is more to it.
MDRT’s all new online guided platform with facilitated matching now offers two programs for mentoring: Traditional Mentoring for non-member to member; as well as Peer Mentoring for members to mentor other members.
“MDRT is a knowledge bank of financial service professionals. The biggest resource is the membership itself; interacting with MDRT members will change your mindset of how the financial profession is growing.”
Sanjay Tolani, Ph.D., MBA
HOW DOES THE MENTORING PROGRAM WORK?
Members and mentees can be from anywhere in the world. Your online profile preferences will match you to suggested colleagues, and MDRT will give your team the tools to guide your mentorship.
Open year-round, online. We’ll help match you:
Mentees – fill out your profile, search for MDRT mentors and get matched up with a member ready to get you to where you want to be
Mentors – pass on your knowledge to one, or more, financial advisors who are seeking out professional advice
MDRT will send you the tools to get your relationship going so you can:
- Follow a 12-month program
- Set milestones together
- Set goals as a team
- Track your progress
WHICH MDRT MENTORING PROGRAM IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Who can be a mentee?
- Nonmember advisors looking to achieve MDRT membership can enroll as a mentee in our traditional mentoring program
- Anyone in the financial services industry or a licensed producer
- Any advisor looking to be mentored by an MDRT member and grow personally and professionally
Current MDRT members with a desire to share their knowledge with a non-member financial service professional in a mentoring relationship.
For nonmembers currently residing in Australia; Canada; Hong Kong, China; India; Indonesia; Jamaica; Malaysia; New Zealand; the Philippines; Singapore; the U.K.; the U.S.; or Vietnam:The MDRT Mentoring Program is joining forces with the MDRT Academy on January 1, 2022. As one unified offering, we’re able to create a more comprehensive and meaningful experience for MDRT-aspiring advisors in regions where the MDRT Academy is currently available.
In all other countries:Nonmember advisors looking to achieve MDRT membership can enroll as a mentee in our traditional Mentoring Program below.
MDRT PEER MENTORING FOR MEMBERS
MDRT members looking to boost their careers may enroll as a mentor or mentee.
If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
ANNUAL MEETING and GLOBAL CONFERENCE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
As an enrolled mentee in the MDRT Mentoring Program, or as an Academy member, you are eligible to attend the MDRT Annual Meeting or Global Conference, which are said to be life changing experiences to further your career. The following criteria must be met to be eligible to register to attend.
- An advisor may attend a maximum of two meetings while a being a member of the MDRT Academy or in the MDRT Mentoring Program. Only one MDRT meeting may be attended in a year
- If an advisor has ever attended an MDRT meeting as an MDRT member, they are not eligible to attend as a mentee or MDRT Academy member.
- The advisor must be enrolled and connected in the mentoring program or be a member of the MDRT Academy by March 1 of the meeting year.
- If qualifying as a mentee, your mentor must also be registered to attend the same meeting.
- To attend a meeting your first time, the mentee or MDRT Academy member must meet a threshold of 50 percent of eligible commissions paid or 50 percent of eligible premiums paid of that year’s MDRT membership requirement (based on the previous year's production). Please see www.mdrt.org/membership/requirements for current member production detail.
- To attend a second time, the mentee or MDRT Academy member must meet a threshold of 75 percent of eligible commissions paid or 75 percent of eligible premiums paid of that year’s MDRT membership requirement (based on the previous year's production). Please see www.mdrt.org/membership/requirements for current member production detail.
- If production is submitted on a data file submitted by your company, then no certifying letter is required for validation. If the mentee or MDRT Academy member is submitting production individually, a certifying letter signed by an official of the company is required. For a copy of the certifying letter, please see https://www.mdrt.org/2021-certifying-letters/ for detail. Production must be submitted before March 31.
- All mentees and MDRT Academy members will pay the same registration fee as MDRT members. Contact email@example.com for further information or questions.
The MDRT Mentoring Program:
MDRT has introduced exciting new changes to the Mentoring Program with a full rollout of the new online platform.
We understand the challenges facing new producers as they enter this business, and we recognize that a strong mentor can make the difference between success and failure. The revamped Mentoring Program provides a more robust structure and enhanced tools — with the goal of facilitating quality mentor-mentee relationships. It also includes resources to help with goal setting, milestone tracking, task management, data analytics and progress reports.
Our goal is to enhance the mentoring experience to drive increased productivity, engagement and professional growth.
MDRT Mentoring Program FAQs
- For nonmembers currently residing in Australia; Canada; Hong Kong, China; India; Indonesia; Jamaica; Malaysia; New Zealand; the Philippines; Singapore; the U.K.; the U.S.; or Vietnam, the MDRT Mentoring Program is joining forces with the MDRT Academy. Click here to learn more. For nonmembers residing in all other countries, there is no cost to participate in the MDRT Mentoring Program at this time.
- What are the requirements to enroll? There is no production requirement. However, production must be reported by March 31 (for the preceding year) to be eligible to register to attend the Annual Meeting or Global Conference.
You must also have a unique email address.
- When can I apply? Enrollment in the MDRT Mentoring Program is open year-round.
- How long is the program: The program is a 12-month guided plan
- Who is eligible to be a mentor? All mentors must be current MDRT members.
- What is included in the MDRT Mentoring Program? Mentoring teams receive access to MDRT’s Resource Zone, as well as monthly emails highlighting a piece of content that can be used for fruitful conversations. The new platform will include facilitated online matching, tools for goal setting and tracking, milestones and best-practice training.
- How do I join the MDRT Mentoring Program? Enroll at mdrt.org/mentorship. Click on “Enroll in Program” and complete your profile. The system will prompt you and provide you with the best match for a mentor.
You must also have a unique email address.
- Do both halves of a mentoring team need to enroll? Yes.
- How many mentees can a mentor have? The best practice is no more than two mentees per mentor.
- What happens if I’m not engaged once I enroll? Participants must log in and have activity in the platform within 120 days from date of connection or the connection will close, and they will no longer be enrolled in the program.
- Is there a limit to how many times you may go through the program? No, there is no limit to the number of times you can go through the 12-month program.
- How do I find a mentor? The platform facilitates self-matching and allows the mentee to “filter” for criteria when selecting a mentor such as country, language, company, etc. You will be prompted to send email invites to suggested mentors.
- Is there training for a new mentor? Yes, the program provides training in best practices for the mentor and the mentee.
- What other MDRT benefits come with being enrolled in the mentoring program? A mentee may be eligible to attend the MDRT Annual Meeting or Global Conference with their mentor if they meet certain criteria. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.